Something's Gotta Give... Or Not. Why I'm Happy Being Single.
I was driving around with a co-worker last week when he asked me what was new. So, basically, was I dating anyone?
I get this question a lot.
No, I'm not.
My response is always "I'm not ready or interested right now. I also don't have time." Both are equally true.
That's when he told me "Something's Got To Give" if I ever want to date again. You see, I work full-time, I take care of my child and I workout. On Monday nights, and the occasional weekend when London is with his dad, I go out. My days are usually jam-packed from 4:30 am (when I get up to workout) to 8:30-9:00 pm when I crawl into bed.
I've been thinking about this for a few days now. Maybe it's because Valentine's Day is around the corner and, out of my group of local friends, I'm the only one that's single.
The thing is, I don't mind being single. In fact, I love it.
Right now, I'm taking time to focus on ME. What are MY interests. What makes ME happy. Yes, ME ME ME! Of course, London gets my undivided attention as well but, when he's with his dad, I choose how I spend my time. For now, it's mostly working out and spending time with friends.
So, if you're feeling down you don't have that "special someone" in your life right now listen up... enjoy this time!! You're not going to be single forever!
1. I decide how I spend my time. What I eat, or don't eat, and how long it takes to get ready. Double workouts? Back-to-back chick-flicks? Sure, why not?! Sometimes All I ever really want is a protein shake and a snack plate. It's hard to get most guys on board with eating like this.
2. I can go to bed early on a Friday night (hello, early Saturday morning long run) and not feel like I'm letting anyone down.
3. I get to spend time with my friends. Brunch and bachelor nights! Time with my girlfriends is so good for my soul!
4. I don't have to stress over a Valentine's Day/Birthday/Anniversary gift (because a guy only needs so many pairs of sports-themed t-shirts, boxers and tickets to sporting events you don't want to go to but feel like you need to because you got them for him.)
5. MY OWN CLOSET. Seriously, I don't mind sharing, most things, but closet space is not one of them. That's what guest rooms are for, right? ;)
Obviously, I miss having someone to come home to and sharing my stories with (plus, cuddling is pretty nice too) but I'm not at that point in my life where it's important to me. Plus, I'm still working on myself and the lessons I learned from my marriage ending.
I'm a hopeless romantic so I'm hoping he'll just come find me some day. All I want is a sweet, romantic, kind, runner/fitness enthusiastic who happens to be an amazing cook. That's not too much to ask, right? ;)
Someday I know I'll meet someone that's right for me but, until then, I'm going to enjoy my ME time!
Also, don't forget Valentine's chocolates are 50% off on February 15th ;)
Hi, I'm Kaella, a single mom, reporter and avid runner. I love sharing my workouts, race-recaps, and experiences in group fitness class, with you. I also talk about my four-year-old son London a lot. I'm slightly obsessed with NYC, Starbucks and 5 Cent Candies.