Nothing says New Year, and getting back on track, like a Thinking Out Loud post. I've missed these!
As always, I'm linking up withAmanda. If you don't know how the link-up works check out her first post. Basically, it's a chance for you to get all your random thoughts out and then link up with others doing the same.
1. I'm on Day 4 of a new nutrition and workout plan and it is TOUGH! My body has taken a hit (read: weight gain, loss of muscles) since my leg injury in November. I was still eating like I was training for a marathon and indulged in a lot of treats over the holidays. So, I decided to take 30 days (starting January 4th) and try something new. I LOVE sugar (hello, I'm a self-proclaimed Candy addicts) so that was the first to go. I also am going cold turkey on soda, alcohol and eating out. I'm hoping meal prepping will help me to save money and choose some healthier options. This is the first time I've ever done something like this (I always said I would NEVER restrict any foods ---thanks JB- never say never) so it's been tough. The sugar-withdrawal headaches are a real thing! Anyway, it's not something I plan to do forever. Like, I said, I want to try and do it for 30 days and then re-evaluate. I miss cookies, candy, chips, pop, bread, crackers EVERYTHING! ;)
2. Coach Suz is a lifesaver. I swear this lady is earning her money from me. I message her daily with questions and she is always so quick to respond and offer advice or words of encouragement. I'm so glad I decided to hire a run coach. Apparently, a lot of people are doing the same thing. Hiring a fitness professional is one of the top 10 most effective Canadian fitness trends for the year (according to GoodLife Fitness.)
3. I tried acupuncture and loved it! In an effort to try and fix my left leg (suspected Quad strain with possible nerve damage) I tried acupuncture in combination with my ongoing massage therapy, Chiro and physio. I LOVED it! The needles didn't hurt and I felt extremely relaxed the whole time. Before we started, the doctor spent 40 minutes going through my paperwork, and test results, to identify problem areas and plan my treatment. We are settling on five treatments, for now, and then will re-evaluate. The awesome news is, after just one session, I've ran PAIN-FREE twice!!! It's not feeling "normal" yet but to run pain-free it something I haven't experienced in months.
4. BMO Vancouver Marathon training should have started Monday. While, I'm not running the mileage I know I should be I am still in-training. Coach Suz has me doing Interval runs, hill walking, spinning and strength training 5-6 days a week. If anything this time off from running is letting me focus on getting stronger in other areas that will ultimately help my running.
5. I am going to San Diego!! Thanks to a SUPER CHEAP seat sale, I'm heading to San Diego in June for the Rock N Roll Half Marathon. It's a week after the Calgary Marathon (and a month after Vancouver) so my plan is to just have fun and run with some of the We Run Social crew. I can't wait to soak up some sun and enjoy a little mini-vacation.
6. I'm hoping to get my 2016 race calendar up soon. It's a little frustrating to not be where I'd like to be with running but I'm still planning my race calendar in the hopes I'll be up and running soon. All the doctors/specialists say my injury isn't serious and should be healed soon. I have to trust them, and Coach Suz, and just stay positive!
7. I'm a PRO COMPRESSION AMBASSADOR!! Although I already posted the news on Instagram I wanted to share it here too. I've been wearing compression socks for about a year now and was quickly hooked! They're my go-to training, race and recovery socks (I also wear them on airplanes to help with circulation!) I'm really excited to be representing a company I love! If you haven't already... head to their website and sign up to receive details on their sock of the month. The new designs are always AMAZING! December's sold out in a few hours! (Sad face: I missed out!) Stay tuned for discount codes and giveaways!!
I just realized my whole post is about health & running hahaha! Yeah, that's how I roll :P
Have you ever quit something cold turkey? Did it work for you?
What's your favourite healthy recipe? (I need ideas!)
Have you ever tried acupuncture? Loved it/Hated it?
This post was written as part of the GoodLife Fitness Blogger Ambassador Program; however all opinions expressed are my own.
Hi, I'm Kaella, a single mom, reporter and avid runner. I love sharing my workouts, race-recaps, and experiences in group fitness class, with you. I also talk about my four-year-old son London a lot. I'm slightly obsessed with NYC, Starbucks and 5 Cent Candies.