Saturday, September 14, 2013

My 1st Half Marathon

Today I crossed something off my life bucket list and my fitness bucket list:

I ran a HALF MARATHON!! 13.1 miles/21 kilometers.

Before the race I was really nervous. I woke up at 5:22 am and forced myself to eat a waffle with peanut butter and half a banana and chugged a lot of water. Nicole picked me up at 7:25am and we headed to the starting line at the Lethbridge lodge. We met up with her friend Danielle (who was also doing the half) and my friends Danielle and Katie (who were both doing the 10K) and posed for the necessary pre-race photo.

After a quick stop at the porta-potty and a quick lap around the parking lot to warm up our legs we headed over to the starting line. They were about 10 minutes late to start but once we finally got going the nerves settled and I began to fall into a routine. 

Then, about two minutes in my water belt came unhooked and my water bottle fell on the ground. I quickly snatched both up and kept running. I was kind of sprinting to get ahead of the starting crowd and I didn't want to stop. I somehow managed to get my water belt on while running and chose to hold one of my water bottled instead of trying to put it back in.

The race started at the lodge and we headed South East along scenic and then over and around Henderson lake before making out way back west to the river bottom. It was a beautiful run and kudos to amazing volunteers who were there to stop traffic for us and encourage us along the way!

I pushed myself through some knee pain, cramps and feeling like I had to pee but loved (almost) every second of it! I actually only drank one water bottle and ate two shot blocks the whole race!

When I hit 10 miles at the bottom of the river valley I started to speed up. I knew I was going to crush my 2:20 goal and wanted to see if I could beat my "that would be amazing" goal of 2:12! The last three point one miles were the hardest but they were also the most exciting. As I rounded the last bend I saw my mom, Aunty Kay, Danielle and Katie (Jarod and London were off to the side and I didn't see them until after) cheering me on! 

I picked up a sprint and dug deep and  raced to the finish line!

I finished in 2 hours and 9 minutes and 20 seconds!! I am so proud of myself!

I've had a few people ask me if I would do it again and the answer is.... Of course, sign me up!! I would love to do a sub two hour half one day!! 

The months of training paid off! What an awesome day!

Congratulations to my girls who also rocked their races!!


  1. Congratulations for like the 100th time!! Haha You make me want to do this some day. You're amazing! So happy that you were able to accomplish this.


  2. So proud of you! You inspire me everyday!