I'm skipping this week's Training Tuesday since I haven't officially started Marathon Training yet.
Saturday morning I drove to Calgary with my friends Danielle, Melissa and June for the Colour Me Rad 5K. I've done this event the last two years (race recaps here and here) and had a blast! We were planning to meet a big group of Alberta bloggers around 9:30 so we left at 6:50 to give us plenty of time to make the two hour drive and park. My friends were not very excited about the early morning wakeup on a Saturday!
Jen had given us the heads up there was construction in the area so we were prepared for that; however, we were not prepared for the traffic congestion to get to Canada Olympic Park. I had decided to spend the 11 bucks and purchase VIP parking since I had London with me. They gave us an address for parking which we entered into our GPS and followed the instructions. It took us 42 minutes to get from the start of the construction to the top of COP where we were then told by a not-so-nice construction lady that there was absolutely no parking and we would have to turn around! Needless to say, we were not impressed!!!
We were already 30 minutes late to meet our friends and family and Melissa really had to use a washroom. We ended up stopping at a gas station and then making the 20 minute drive back the way we came to circle around to get to the top of the hill another way. Needless to say, we were all a little frustrated by the time we got there.
I wish the parking would have come with instructions. We would have saved ourselves at least an hour! They also could have been turning people around at the bottom of COP to save people at least half an hour! I also heard the shuttles were a mess with up to an hour and a half wait. The shuttles were also being re-directed. It was a mess and the most unorganized of all the three years. Thankfully, London was a rockstar for 3.5 hours in the car!!
All of the girls were nice enough to wait for us to arrive (we were an hour late!) I showed up a bit grouchy, and frustrated, but seeing all of them cheered me up and got me excited to run! We quickly picked up our packages (no sunglasses this year but sweet socks!) and gathered for a few pre-race photos.
We decided to run the race as two groups. Melis, Danielle and June stuck together and I (mostly) walked/jogged with the blogger group. I don't see these ladies very much and it was great to catch up. I wish we would have had more time. I also wish we all lived in the same city because I know we would all be great friends! I feel like I know so much about them just reading their blogs every day and our group text/facebook/instagram chats!
The course was different this year. Apparently, they received a lot of complaints about the big hill so they kept it mostly flat. Honestly, it was a horrible course. At one point, we ran by the finish line (kind of confusing) and then ran around a parking lot (which we ended up skipping out early on.) I think race organizers had the opportunity to highlight a beautiful part of Calgary and having racers lap around a parking lot, for a portion, is embarrassing.
Parking Lot Laps
I WAS impressed with the amount of colour stations. In the past years, they only had one colour station per colour (about 5 I believe.) This year, there were about three times that amount! Plus, they even shot gel-colour out of a gun which was surprisingly cold and refreshing! I was definitely very colourful by the end. I have no idea what our time was but I'm guessing about 35 minutes.
I heard most colour stations were out of colour by 11:30 which makes me sad. That's the whole point of doing a colour run. I read a lot of bad reviews and complaints on the event FB page and Colour Me Rad did address most of them asking how they could make it up to people. I think organizers realize they majorly dropped the ball in a number of key areas.
Although, I had a mixed experience I do love this race. I love that the organizers really focus on making it one big party. They had food trucks, a stage pumping good music and a beer garden. I think, with a few improvements, this could be a really great race again! I will be back next year but only if they can guarantee I'm not doing loops of a parking lot and my shirt doesn't stay white!!
1. Have you ever done a Colour Run before?
2. Have you ever been disappointed by a race or a race course?
I'm still smiling thinking about how much fun London and I had this weekend!
Friday afternoon, we packed up and headed to a nearby lake for some fun in the sun! We brought along a water gun and had fun eating from the concession, playing soccer and wading out in the nice cool water.
We stopped for ice cream on the way home since the concession closed early and I promised him a treat!
Saturday morning we were up really early to drive to Calgary for Colour Me Rad with Melissa, June and Danielle. We also got to meet up with a huge group of Alberta bloggers! More on the race coming soon but, despite some traffic issues, it was a blast!
We arrived home around 3:30, showered, and relaxed before heading to a baseball game with friends and coworkers. It was a gorgeous (and very hot) night at the ball park!
We slept in until 8:30 Sunday morning so we decided to head out for breakfast and then to a nearby lake for the Dragonboat festival. Honestly, we only watched one race. London was having too much fun in the bouncy castles! We must have gone in the three different ones at least a dozen times!
He also got his face painted like a ninja turtle.
And, couldn't stop looking at himself in my phone camera haha!
We drank lots of water (it was 35 degrees) and had our fair share of cold treats!
It was absolutely beautiful!
After nap time we met up with Jarod to see "Inside Out." It was nice to sit in an air conditioned theatre for a couple hours. I loved the movie. It had a lot of life lessons but was also really sad! I absolutely shed a few tears!
We spent some time in the nearby arcade after.
We continued our tradition of Sunday supper at Jarod's house so I got to cuddle with London while he cooked.
Then, it was time to bring out the play dough and knock over blocks.
I had put off my run all day because of the heat. Since it hasn't cooled down by 9pm I decided to run in my equally hot basement instead. 5 miles while watching the Big Brother premiere. Is anyone else watching this season?
It took me an hour to stop sweating and I chugged three glasses of water! So hot!
Overall, it was an incredible weekend. I love the summer and I love my little man!
It's that time again, I'm linking up with Amanda for Thinking Out Loud. If you don't know how it works check out her first post. Basically, it's a chance for you to get all your random thoughts out and then link up with others doing the same.
1. I love my new Chariot. London is on a bit of a bicycle strike right now and he thinks he live too far away from the park to walk so the Chariot is perfect! Last night Jarod, London and I went for bike ride and he loved it! I can't wait for more rides together this summer.
2. I use my cell phone as a mirror. This isn't really a new thing since I usually use the camera to touch up my makeup before I go on-air, at work, but now I've started using it to get ready in the morning. I lost my hand held mirror in the move and need something to make sure the back of my hair looks okay.
3. I signed up for my first spin class! A local gym offers Spin 101 class the first Saturday of the month. I am hoping to incorporate spinning into my marathon training so this is a great chance to try it, for free, to find out if I like it. I also purchased a two-week trial membership and signed up for a few Booty Barre classes. I'm really trying to step outside of my fitness comfort zone.
4. I now have two agendas. I love keeping tracking of my appointments on my phone but I actually prefer paper agendas. I have my BeFilled one which I've been using for years and LOVE but wanted something a little smaller I can tuck in my purse. I've downsized purses, as per my Chiropractors request, so my big agenda doesn't work. It stays on my desk and my little travel-sized one comes with me. I have to keep track of London's schedule, my workouts for the week (including Marathon training) bill payments and appointments. What can I say, I'm extremely Type A ;)
5. I love the time of the day when breakfast is on the table and we have a few minutes before London and I have to rush out the door. Earlier this week, he wanted to "cheers" our orange juice and then hold my hand while we watched Dora.
6. I got my new PHONE!!! I decided to go with the 5s because I could get more storage than the 6 and that's really why I needed an upgrade. I have a LOT of London/running photos/videos ;) I haven't had a lot of time to use it yet but I do like the thumb print feature and the burst camera mode!
7. I wait until it's cheap brow day to get mine waxed. There's a big difference between 18 dollars and 11 dollars. My eyebrows desperately needed some attention but I love to save money! Plus, my bangs cover them up most days so I can wait. I go to Merle Norman and have always been really happy with the service! I tweeted this photo to my friend Danielle to remind her about cheap Tuesday. She loves it just as much as I do ;)
8. Jo is coming to visit!!!! Bloggers friends are the best friends! I'm so excited to visit with her while she's in Lethbridge!! The last time she was here she introduced me to BodyPump at GoodLife Fitness so I expect we'll probably do something active together this time too! If you don't follow her blog you should. She lives in Canmore and her photos will make you want to pack up your life and move to the mountains!
9. I joined SnapChat. I have no idea why. Okay, so technically it was a combination of Ange convincing me (without having to say anything) and wanting to creep on more photos and cute videos of Kaitlyn and Shawn B from the Bachelorette. Yes, I'm serious. If you're on SnapChat add me! My user name is: kaellaontherun. Disclosure: I have no idea what I'm doing yet.
10. I'm really excited for this weekend!!! Saturday a few friends and I are driving to Calgary for the Colour Me Rad 5K! This is my third year doing this fun run and it's one of my favourites!!! I'll have London this year so I'm going to be either pushing him in a stroller or walking the course with him. I can't decide which makes more sense yet. We'll also be meeting up with some local blogger friends too! I can't wait to visit with them again!
Can't wait to meet up with some of these lovely ladies again!!
I am also going to a baseball game Saturday night and then hoping to take London swimming on Sunday! The weather is forecasted to be in the 30-36 degree (Celsius) range which is awesome!!
Are you on SnapChat? Leave your username in the comments!