Some weekends are jam packed. This was one of them. I maybe did a bit too much actually as I had a few minor breakdowns Sunday and even gave myself an adult time-out after I got mad at London for accidentally hitting me in the face with a toy airplane. Don't get me wrong though it was a fun weekend.
Friday night, I took London the the hockey game. We usually only stay one or two periods but London toughed it and made it to the end of the game (even staying for overtime!) We had a blast!
Saturday morning, we slept in. We made our way to Coalhurst around 9:30 for a 5K race. I planned on pushing London in the stroller for was admittedly a little nervous. We hadn't race a 5K with the stroller since May, and it was cold and windy. Plus, the course was very hilly. I'll do a race recap soon but we beat our sub 35 minute goal and finished second stroller over. (Shout-out to the couple who came up to me and said hi while we were waiting to start. It was nice to meet you!!)
We went for breakfast after and ended up running into a birthday party with all his daycare friends. It was a little tough for him to understand why all his friends were playing without him but after, a little bit, and me explaining not everyone gets invited to every party he was fine! We met up with his dad and I headed home to get ready for the Firefighters charity calendar night. Orangetheory Fitness was the main sponsor so a few of our staff headed there for a night out!
It was really fun, although a little awkward since I see a lot of these guys when I'm working, but a HUGE kudos to the guys who go on stage!!
Sunday morning, I was up for another race. I ran the Barebones 5K a fundraiser for the Humane society. My first goal was to sub 30. My second was to place top 3 in my age group. I accomplished the sub 30 but came in 4th overall. I ran almost five minutes slower than I did last year. It's hard to come back from injury, and very humbling, but I know I'll get back to where I was some day! I'll have a Race Recap coming soon on this one too. London also race the kids 1K race. It's funny how he loves to run fast when it's just the two of us and then he gets scared on race day and wants to walk or hold my hand. Thankfully, he still says he has fun which is the most important part!
We spent most of Sunday hanging out at home after we picked up groceries, I cleaned the house, we played (a lot) coloured, painted a pumpkin and watched a movie. Like I said earlier, I had a very moments where I felt overwhelmed with everything I have on my plate but I'm feeling better now.
This week is going to be crazy. I work both jobs today and then I start try-outs for OTF coaching TOMORROW! They run all week so I should know, by Thursday night, if I'm officially a trainer! Fingers crossed!
Wow, three weeks in a row! I'm on a roll woot woot! Sometimes, these are the easiest posts to write because I have a bunch of random thoughts I want to share. Once again I'm linking up with Amanda for Thinking Out Loud. Check out the details in her first post if you're new around here.
1. I passed my Personal Training Practical!! Tuesday night, I headed to the gym for my one-hour exam. June played the role of "Maria" and I took her through a workout in front of my pro trainer Ali. I was judged on the program card I created plus the actual workout. It was easier than I though I would be because I spent the last few weeks studying my butt off. I passed with 95% and I am pretty proud of myself!!
2. Now, it's on to Orangetheory Fitness Training. The studio I've been working at, since June, is getting ready to start classes. I've dreamed about being a coach there for months so I'm going to try-outs next week. It runs from Tuesday to Thursday 9-5:30 and is very intense. I'm nervous but really excited! If you're local, come check out our studio anytime and I'll give you a tour!
3. I have two races this weekend. There's a 5K, out of town, we are doing Saturday morning (I'll be pushing him in the stroller) and then I'm doing another 5K Sunday (without the stroller) and he is doing the 1K. The Sunday race is one of my favourites, and one I usually place at, but I'm not in racing shape this year. My goal is to just keep it under 30 minutes.
4. I have a fun night with the girls planned Saturday. OTF is sponsoring the annual Firefighters calendar night so I'm going for "work." It's a really fun night and I will never turn down some fun with friends. I judged the calendar night, a few years ago, and had a blast!
5. Less than a month and I'm off to VEGAS!! I'll be running the Rock N Roll 5K and Half Marathon for the second time. June, her friend Robynn, and Tawnya are all joining me. We also bought tickets to Britney which I'm VERY excited about! I saw Britney years ago, in Vancouver, and am looking forward to getting dressed up and singing along to her hits with my friends.
6. I'm actually doing a costume for the Vegas half marathon this year. I won't give it away, yet, but we did pick up some more pieces this week and it's starting to come together. We are keeping it fairly simple but we wanted to have fun with it. Speaking of Vegas, if you're running ou may want to check out this limited edition t-shirt that was just released. I'll be wearing it for Saturday's 5K!
I'm off to take London to swimming lessons (I always type these up Wednesday afternoon) so I should cut this short. Have a GREAT day!!
I love long weekends. I especially love long weekends that centre around a food-based holiday. Thanksgiving is one of my favourites. I'm usually with London and my family but this year I was rolling solo for the most part. I still got to eat two delicious meals. So, no complaints!
Friday night, I took London to a sporting store to get gear for his upcoming hockey season. There's nothing cuter than seeing your little guy dressed in head-to-toe hockey gear. He starts this weekend and I can't wait to start my part-time career as a hockey mom.
Saturday, I was up early to take London to his dad's and then headed into work at Orangetheory. I worked there for most of the day before spending the night with friends.
I finally made it out for a run Sunday morning. It was a perfect fall day until it started raining, then hailing and then blowing snow. I was soaked, and freezing, so I called it quits after five miles.
I ended up going over to a friend's house, that night, for a delicious pre-Thanksgiving feast. We had chicken, waffles and homemade pumpkin-pie cheesecake. I wish I had better skills in the kitchen.
I woke up to over a foot of snow Monday. I picked up London from his dad's and we spent a few hours sledding, having a snowball fight and building a snow man. We warmed up with grilled cheese and tomato soup and then cuddled under blankets while watching Zootopia (for the 100th time!)
Monday night, we had our annual Friendsgiving.
Most of my Lethbridge friends aren't from the area and don't have family so we make an effort to get together to celebrate holidays.
It was a big potluck and everyone did a great job cooking (or, in my case, buying) delicious food!
Thanks for hosting Danielle!
What's your favourite Thanksgiving food? (I love turkey topped with cranberry sauce!)
Hi, I'm Kaella, a single mom, reporter and avid runner. I love sharing my workouts, race-recaps, and experiences in group fitness class, with you. I also talk about my four-year-old son London a lot. I'm slightly obsessed with NYC, Starbucks and 5 Cent Candies.